Location: Ancona - via Brecce Bianche - ingresso 3
Access: Open access
Order: D.M. 270/04
Type: Master Degree (2 years)
The Master's Degree programme (MSc) in Computer and Automation Engineering (class LM-32 - Information Engineering) aims at training highly qualified professionals with outstanding design skills in the most advanced areas of automation and computer systems such as the control of non-linear, mechatronic and robotic systems, as well as distributed computer systems, advanced data management and analysis, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity. Students on the programme have the opportunity to choose specific specialised courses or courses oriented towards a more interdisciplinary training. Technical skills are supplemented with the study of organisational and managerial disciplines, to provide students with the ability to understand the close relationship between information and automation technologies and organisational innovation. The training provided meets the cultural, professional and working needs of the modern "information society", in which information and automation technologies play a central role in redesigning all aspects related to people's lives as well as the development of economic activities. This is the reason why graduates from the programme are among the most sought-after figures on the job market worldwide. They are capable of following the evolution of technologies and even of determining it, thanks to their work in research laboratories.
Role in a work context
- design, sizing, implementation and operation of computer systems
- design, sizing, implementation and operation of automation and control systems
The training received allows them to interact with specialists from all engineering and economic-management sectors and translate requests from non-experts in computer science and automation into formal requirements, as well as to carry out coordination activities.
Skills associated with the role
Graduates from the MSc programme in Computer and Automation Engineering have advanced skills compared to those of graduates from the BSc programme which allow them to autonomously develop even complex projects. In particular, they possess skills in:
- Advanced design, planning, sizing, development and management of networks and complex information systems;
- Advanced design for automatic systems, processes and automation systems that integrate IT components, measurement, transmission and actuator equipment;
- Use of software engineering methodologies for requirement analysis, design, implementation and software verification;
- Troubleshooting using original solutions.
Graduates in Computer and Automation Engineering can carry out their work in all the areas of the modern technological society, in particular in manufacturing or service companies (transport, distribution and land management, etc.), process industries, public administrations, training institutions, and as freelancers (subject to passing the qualification exam and enrolling in the Professional Engineers Register – Section A).
Thanks to their skills, they are able to promote the process of innovation and development that is based on the adoption of information technology and automation.
Graduates can find employment opportunities in those fields in which IT and automation products and systems are designed and developed, both in manufacturing and service companies. In particular, opportunities can be found in the following fields:
- software design and production companies;
- companies designing and building computer and telematic networks;
- companies producing goods and/or services;
- energy production, transformation and distribution plants;
- petrochemical and pharmaceutical plants;
- manufacturing industries, public administration sectors and service companies that use information systems for the management and automation of production processes;
- engineering companies, such as consultancy or systems integration companies;
- companies and public organisation managing services (telecommunications, energy, transport, etc.);
- public and private research and development centres operating in innovative sectors of computer and automation engineering.
A further opportunity is the possibility for graduates to continue their studies by enrolling on a PhD programme in an Italian or foreign University.