• Francesco Podesti Municipal Art Gallery, Via Pizzecolli no.17, tel. 0712225045. The gallery is situated in the sixteenth century Palazzo Bosdari and has works by the Ancona artist Francesco Podesti (1800-1895) as well as artists from the Marches active from the xvi to the xix century. The Gallery of
Modern Art is also located here. Open Mon 9-13, Tuesday to Saturday from 8.30 to 18.30 and on Sunday from 15.00 to 19.00.
• National Archaeological Museum of Marche, Via Ferretti no. 6,tel . 071 202602 - 071 2075390. Located in the sixteenth century Palazzo Ferretti frescoed by Tibaldi (1522- 1596) and the Zuccari brothers (xvi century) and comprises archaeological materials and works. Open from Tuesday to Sunday from 8.30 to 19.30.
• Diocese Museum of Sacred Art (ex Episcopal), near the Cathedral of St Ciriaco. Thanks to this collection of artefacts the entire history of Ancona and its diocese can be traced.
• Fountain of Calamo or fountain of the 13 cannelle (gargantuan), in Corso Mazzini, one of the oldest streets in the city. Although its origins are unclear it’s present form dates back to the xvi century.
• Fountain of the Four Horses, Piazza Roma. Realised in 1758 it once stood on the site of the present Theatre Delle Muse.
• Roman Amphitheatre, in via Pio II- via G.Birarelli. Dating back to the 1st century AD. Excavations are still underway.
• Duomo di San Ciriaco (Cathedral), in via Guasco. Built on the foundations of a Italic temple. Remains of the Paleocristian period.
• Chiesa di Santa Maria della Piazza (Church), Piazza Santa Maria. Dating back to xi-xii centuries.
• Chiesa di Sant’Agostino (Church), in Via Cialdini
• Chiesa di San Domenico (Church), Piazza del Plebiscito.
• Chiesa di San Francesco delle Scale (Church), in Piazza St Francesco
• Chiesa del Gesù (Church), Piazza G.Stracca.
• Teatro Delle Muse (theatre), in Piazza delle Reppublica. Erected between 1822 and 1825.
• Palazzo La Loggia dei Mercanti, in Via Della Loggia. Constructed in 1442. A magnificent facade by G.Orsini.
• Porta Pia (Antique gateway to the city), in Via xxix Settembre.
• Arco Clementino, Port (L.Rizzo dock) 39
• Arco di Traiano (Roman arch), Port (L.Rizzo dock)
• Mole Vanvitelliana referred to as Lazzaretto (an ancient isolation hospital), in the port (pier G.da Chio). Here there are often organized interesting exhibitions of various types (photography, arts,..) and in summer there are an open-air cinema and a bar.
• Palazzo del Senato or Palazzo Pilastri in Piazza del Senato.
• Palazzo degli Anziani, in Piazza G.Stracca. This was the seat of the city magistrate until the end of the eighteenth century.
• Piazza del Plebiscito referred to as Piazza del Papa. Its origins date back to the end of the fourteenth century, however it was only completed in 1817. It is surrounded by buildings on three
sides and headed by the Church of St Domenic on the fourth.
• Forte Altavilla, Napoleonic Fort, Pietralacroce area.
• Monument to the victims of the First World War, called Passetto,
in Piazza iv Novembre