Location: Ancona - via Brecce Bianche - ingresso 3
Access: Open access
Order: D.M. 270/04
Type: Master Degree (2 years)
The Master's Degree programme in Environmental Engineering aims to train future engineers to deal with complex problems and design conventional and innovative solutions related to environmental and territorial issues such as water resources, soil conservation, pollution control, energy resources and environment and land protection. The complexity of these issues is tackled through an intensely interdisciplinary approach and a training programme which combines theoretical aspects (whole-class lectures),field experiences, calculation exercises, laboratory activities and design projects.
At the end of the Master's Degree programme, graduates in Environmental Engineering will have gained the skills to work in every field of Environmental Engineering, as self-employed professionals or for public institutions or private companies and businesses engaged in consultancy and development, planning, design, implementation and management of structures and systems for environment and land monitoring, soil protection, waste and environment/energy resource management. Furthermore, graduates will have the opportunity to extend their studies with a national or international PhD or a Second-Level Master's degree.
The Programme is delivered in English so as to offer internationally oriented training and facilitate the acquisition of specific technical vocabulary that will prove useful in national and international contexts.
Starting from 2019-2020, the Master's Degree in Environmental Engineering also provides a Double Degree agreement with the Catholic University of America of Washington.
Function in a context of work:
Master's Degree graduates in Environmental Engineering are engineers able to approach and solve traditional environmental and territorial issues as well as those emerging problems that are taking on greater and greater importance in a complex and intricate context of sustainable development.
They are experts in development, planning, design and management of systems, interventions, facilities and infrastructures in the environmental field.
Environmental Engineers are able to perform their functions independently and coordinate other expert professionals in environmental and land issues.
They deal with problems related to the following topics:
- water resources: assessment of surface and underground water resources, water resource management, water supply, related works and infrastructures;
- soil conservation: assessment and mitigation of natural hazards, infrastructures and soil conservation, management of waterways, coastal protection;
- pollution reduction: systems and infrastructures for the treatment and recovery of surface and underground waters, wastewaters, wastes, gas matrices and contaminated soils;
- energy resources: traditional energy sources and renewable energies, conversion plants;
- environment analysis and protection: ground representation, protection and enhancement of environmental resources, environmental monitoring systems, impact assessment of plans, projects and works
Skills associated with function:
Master's Degree graduates in Environmental Engineering will be able to carry out the following activities:
- analysis of complex and transversal issues in environment and land protection;
- monitoring and modelling of environmental systems,
- identification of engineering solutions for soil conservation, protection of the environment and land, water resources, pollution reduction and enhancement of energy and natural resources;
- design of conventional and advanced engineering solutions and environmental engineering structural and infrastructural works;
- environmental impact assessment of interventions and engineering works and authorisation procedures;
- management and control of even highly complex plants and works.
Master's Degree graduates in Environmental Engineering will find employment opportunities mainly in the following work environments:
professional service firms, self-employed professional activities (after qualifying as a Professional Engineer and subsequently registering in the Register of Engineers), public institutions, private companies and businesses engaged in consultancy and development, planning, design, implementation and management of structures and systems for environment and land monitoring, soil protection, waste and environment/energy resource management.
Furthermore, graduates in Environmental Engineering will have the opportunity to extend their studies with a national or international PhD or a Second-Level Master's degree.
The delivery of the programme in English helps increase job opportunities in both national and international contexts.